TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Riders not following the terms and conditions could have their memberships suspended or cancelled and/or be asked to leave the horse park
- All riders must be registered (form completed, payment made) either as members or as casual riders.
- All riders must wear a riding helmet and a hi-vis vest when riding in the forest.
- All riders must carry on them a current ID card or receipt – you could be asked to leave the forest if you cannot show a current ID card or receipt upon request.
- All riders must wear a hi-vis when riding in the forest. Members must wear a vest with the Kake Hōiho logo on it.
- Casual riders can borrow a hi-vis vest from the office.
- Riders are required to have a tag on their saddle or bridle with a contact name and number, in the event that the horse gets lost or separated from the rider.
- Riderless horses must be led by a mounted rider, with a connecting lead or rope, and be under control at all times.
- You must notify us immediately of any missing or loose horses in the horse park. Alert Kake Hōiho staff if they are present on site or call the office (09 420 9566 ext.1) during business hours. Outside business hours call First Security 0800 347 787 or forest security 027 535 5770.
- Vehicle access is only permitted to the car park within the licenced area.
- All vehicles and horse floats entering the car park must have a current WOF and registration.
- All vehicles entering the car park must be registered to be there, either through membership or casual entry.
- A Vehicle Parking Permit sticker must be clearly displayed on all member vehicles.
- A processed casual entry form must be displayed on the dashboard of all casual rider vehicles.
- Horse park keys that have been allocated to members are for the use of the member they have been allocated to exclusively. Members can bring paid and registered casual riders into the park with them, but they cannot give out their key for another rider to access the park independently of them.
- Registrations run to the 30th of September annually and all keys must be returned at the end of the membership period.
- Riders 16 years or under are considered children and must ride with a registered adult rider.
- Riders 16 years or under (when the membership commences) can be added to the membership of an adult rider who is then responsible for them when they are in the horse park. No keys or memberships are issued to riders 16 or under.
- No pedestrians or cyclists, riders only.
- Logging trucks and other vehicles that use the forest roads have right of way – extra care is required when crossing forest roads.
- You can cross forest roads, but you cannot ride along them.
- Te Ngahere o Woodhill is an operational production forest and has year-round harvesting and forestry activity. Please adhere to all warning signage. There is no access to areas that have been taped off.
- Horse riding is only permitted on the approved and marked horse trails.
- You can ride on the trails within the horse park boundary and on the approved and marked trails south of the southern park border, Wightman Way.
- If you ride anywhere else in the forest you are trespassing and could be prosecuted, you could also have your membership revoked.
- Access to the trails that are south of the southern park border, Wightman Way, may be restricted when other activities are scheduled in that area of the forest (e.g. motocross events).
- Access to the horse park could be restricted during high fire risk periods or when winds exceed 65 kph. At times, the park could be closed due to Covid-19 restrictions or events that could compromise the safety of riders and their horses. We endeavour to notify riders of any changes to access and any forestry activity that will impact the use of the park – please monitor announcements on www.woodhillforest.co.nz and on our Facebook page Te Ngahere Kake Hōiho.
- ALWAYS LOCK GATES BEHIND YOU – unlocked gates leave the forest open to unauthorised access. Throughout the year parts of the forest are grazed. Please ensure that all grazing gates are kept closed to stop cattle wandering on the roads.
- Kake Hōiho members: You can use your keys to come in through the horse gates at Muriwai. You must lock the gates behind you. If you are with casual riders, they must be wearing a hi-vis vest and carrying a receipt to show that they have paid the casual rider fee. No entry through the horse gates before 6.30 am, or after 6 pm in winter and 8 pm in summer.
- NO RIDING DURING THE HOURS OF DARKNESS.
- No access to the dune areas north of the Muriwai Regional Park, beyond Old Telephone Track.
- Dogs are welcome in the forest with you, but they must always be under full control and tied up when they are in the car park.
- Smoking is prohibited when riding in the forest.
- Registrations run to the 30th of September annually and all keys must be returned at the end of the membership period. Riders will need to re-register and purchase a new key to continue membership and access to the horse park.
- LOST KEYS WILL INCUR A FEE OF $100.
- New keys will not be issued to returning members until either their old key is returned, or the lost key fee is paid.
- HORSE GATE LOCKS ARE CHANGED ON THE 1ST OF OCTOBER EACH YEAR.
Horse riding is a high-risk activity. When you ride in Te Ngahere o Woodhill you do so at your own risk, so stay alert to the hazards of the environment. If you identify a hazard, please report it to the Kake Hōiho staff if they are present on site, call the office (09 420 9566 ext.1 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday) or email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide as much information as possible to allow for the prompt removal/management of the hazard. These terms and conditions are subject to change and amendment.
THERE ARE WILD ANIMALS IN THE FOREST THAT MAY SPOOK YOUR HORSE.
NO RIDING ON FOREST LAND OUTSIDE THE HORSE PARK BOUNDARY
other than on the approved marked trails that are conditionally accessible south of the horse park.
IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY DIAL 111.
Vehicles left in the forest after hours will either be towed at the owner’s expense or incur the release fee charged by First Security:
0800 277 697